Knit Aid USA
Knit Aid's global reach is growing fast, and one of our largest groups of knitters outside of the UK are our wonderful and generous friends across the pond... the USA! To make it easier and cheaper for our American knitters to contribute to us and the refugee crisis in Europe, we have set up a few collection points in the US. Please see information below for the types of knits we are accepting, deadline dates and contact form, which will automatically reveal our USA address once filled in.
Collection deadline (USA only):
We will be releasing a new deadline soon. In the meantime, please see below for items we will be collecting. You can use our knitting patterns here, or use your own. You can choose any yarn you like, providing it is comfortable, warm and in dark colours.
We are currently collecting handmade:
Winter warmer gift packs made of:
1 beanie, 1 snood/scarf and 1 pair of gloves/handwarmers
Gloves, both fingerless gloves and mittens
Hot water bottle covers (including hot water bottle)
Little Snug Riding Hoods for toddlers
One entire blanket can be made up of 49 squares (20x20cm each square), 7 squares wide and 7 squares long. Finished blanket size is W140cm x L140cm. However, you are welcome to make blankets in any size you like.
Please do not send us individual squares or rows.
IMPORTANT NOTICE – We have been specifically requested by refugees for all knitted clothing to be made in dark colours only, and preferably unisex colours. This is because they are living in camping conditions, with limited access to water, washing and drying clothing. Therefore, light coloured clothing will have a much shorter life and will go to waste.
- Only use dark coloured yarn, preferably unisex.
- We are accepting donations for all ages and sizes.
- We encourage you to use good quality yarn – the kind of knit you'd make for yourself or a loved one. We also use super chunky wool for extra warmth.
- Ensure all ends have been weaved in before sending.
- If you are writing a message with your donation, please attach it to each knitted donation with some yarn or a safety pin. You can write on any card, or download a Knit Aid postcard.
- Ensure there is sufficient postage paid for your parcel when sending us your donations. We cannot pay for any charges and your package will be sent back to you.
- We accept crocheted donations too.