Knit Aid USA
Knit Aid's global reach is growing fast, and one of our largest groups of knitters outside of the UK are our wonderful and generous friends across the pond... the USA! To make it easier and cheaper for our American knitters to contribute to us and the refugee crisis in Europe, we have set up a a collection point in New York.
Our Knit Aid USA collection is now closed, please follow our social channels for up to date information, and feel free to continue to knit while you wait for our next deadline. Please see information below for the types of knits we are currently accepting.
Collection deadline (USA):
Wednesday 20th September 2017
1. Choose what you'd like to knit/crochet
We work with volunteers on the ground who are working with refugees to make sure we are only sending what is needed and requested by refugees themselves. Because of this, our collection list can vary, so please only send in what is listed below for the current collection time.
You can use our fundraising knitting patterns here, or use your own. You can choose any yarn you like, providing it is comfortable, warm and in dark colours. If you have ideas on sending us other than what is listed below, please contact us before sending.
2. Write a message with your donation
We have a new Knit Aid postcard which includes a message in Arabic. Your handwritten message may not be understood or translated immediately, and a message in a native language will help to make it feel even more personal. You can download a PDF of the postcards here, or write on your own card.
3. Check your donations fit our requirements
We have been specifically requested by refugees for all knitted clothing to be made in dark colours only, and preferably unisex colours. This is because they are living in camping conditions, with limited access to water, washing and drying clothing. Therefore, light coloured clothing will have a much shorter life and will go to waste.
Donations should not be lighter than the knits pictured.
- Only use dark coloured yarn, preferably unisex.
- We are accepting donations for all ages and sizes.
- We accept crocheted donations too.
- We encourage you to use good quality yarn – the kind of knit you'd make for yourself or a loved one. We also use super chunky wool for extra warmth.
- Ensure all ends have been weaved in before sending.
- If you are writing a message with your donation, please attach it to each knitted donation with some yarn (no safety pins). You can write on any card, or download a Knit Aid postcard.
- Ensure there is sufficient postage paid for your parcel when sending us your donations. We cannot pay for any charges and your package will be sent back to you.
- If you are posting from outside of the USA, please indicate on your customs label that your gift is for charity, so that we do not incur any custom charges. If we do, we will be unable to pay for them, and your package will be returned to you.
- If you'd like to be notified of the safe delivery of your package, please leave a slip with your name and email address inside the package.
4. Fill in a donations form to let us know what you are sending
You can download and print the form here, or write your own note. This speeds up the process on our side once we receive your package. You can also write your email address on the form and we will notify you when your package has arrived safely.
Wait for our next collection deadline
6. Help us fundraise to continue the work we do
We rely on our fundraiser to help fund the work we do with and for refugees across Europe and the Middle East. No matter how little or how much, every penny goes towards helping us to continue the work we do. Please use the donate button below or pay via Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org