Here are some ways you can help us help refugees:
Collection now closed
Our collection is now closed, but we will most likely open another in February/March so keep an eye on our social media channels for the next date announcement! Meanwhile, if you'd like to continue to knit for us, please see below for items we will be collecting. You can use our knitting patterns here, or use your own. You can choose any yarn you like, providing it is comfortable, warm and in dark colours.
We are currently collecting handmade:
Winter warmer gift packs made of:
1 beanie, 1 snood/scarf and 1 pair of gloves/handwarmers
Gloves, both fingerless gloves and mittens
Hot water bottle covers (including hot water bottle)
Little Snug Riding Hoods for toddlers
One entire blanket can be made up of 49 squares (20x20cm each square), 7 squares wide and 7 squares long. Finished blanket size is W140cm x L140cm. However, you are welcome to make blankets in any size you like.
Please do not send us individual squares or rows.
IMPORTANT NOTICE – We have been specifically requested by refugees for all knitted clothing to be made in dark colours only, and preferably unisex colours. This is because they are living in camping conditions, with limited access to water, washing and drying clothing. Therefore, light coloured clothing will have a much shorter life and will go to waste.
- Only use dark coloured yarn, preferably unisex.
- We are accepting donations for all ages and sizes.
- We encourage you to use good quality yarn – the kind of knit you'd make for yourself or a loved one. We also use super chunky wool for extra warmth.
- Ensure all ends have been weaved in before sending.
- If you are writing a message with your donation, please attach it to each knitted donation with some yarn or a safety pin. You can write on any card, or download a Knit Aid postcard.
- Ensure there is sufficient postage paid for your parcel when sending us your donations. We cannot pay for any charges and your package will be sent back to you.
We accept crocheted donations too.
We have a new Knit Aid postcard which includes a message in Arabic. Your handwritten message may not be understood or translated immediately, and a message in a native language will help to make it feel even more personal. You can download a PDF of the postcards here.
Our work includes:
- Sending your handmade donations to relevant organisations for distribution
- Fundraising for charities and aid organisations
- Running Knit Aid Workshops
- The day-to-day running and management of Knit Aid
Knit Aid is a non-profit social enterprise. All of the profits from our products and workshops go towards funding the work we do. So, whether you purchase one of our instantly downloadable knitting patterns, our exclusive knitting needles or book us for a workshop, every penny goes towards helping us to make a difference to refugees through the wonderful craft of knitting.