Here are some ways you can help us help refugees
Re-opening September 2017
Thank you to everyone who has donated towards our last deadline. Our collection is now closed for the summer.
You can continue to knit or crochet for us, and we will reopen again around September 2017.
If you are a knitter in or near the USA, please have a look at our Knit Aid USA page.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how you can help refugees through knitting or crocheting for them.
1. Choose what you'd like to knit/crochet
We work with volunteers on the ground who are working with refugees to make sure we are only sending what is needed and requested by refugees themselves. Because of this, our collection list can vary, so please only send in what is listed below for the current collection time.
You can use our fundraising knitting patterns here, or use your own. You can choose any yarn you like, providing it is comfortable, warm and in dark colours. If you have ideas on sending us other than what is listed below, please contact us before sending.
Winter warmer sets
Sets made up of beanie, snood/scarf and gloves are the most useful type of donation.
Dark, unisex colours only.
Snoods / Scarves
We accept both snoods/cowls and scarves.
Dark, unisex colours only.
Little Snug Riding Hood for toddlers.
Size as determined in pattern.
Any colour except very light colours.
Hot water bottles + cover
All hot water bottle covers must come with hot water bottles.
Any colour, except white or cream.
Entire blankets only.
Any colour, with minimal white or cream.
Please do not send individual squares.
2. Write a handwritten message
We have a new Knit Aid postcard which includes a message in Arabic. Your handwritten message may not be understood or translated immediately, and a message in a native language will help to make it feel even more personal. You can download a PDF of the postcards here, or write on your own card.
3. Check your donations fit our requirements
We have been specifically requested by refugees for all knitted clothing to be made in dark colours only, and preferably unisex colours. This is because they are living in camping conditions, with limited access to water, washing and drying clothing. Therefore, light coloured clothing will have a much shorter life and will go to waste.
Donations should not be lighter than the knits pictured.
- Only use dark coloured yarn, preferably unisex.
- We are accepting donations for all ages and sizes.
- We accept crocheted donations too.
- We encourage you to use good quality yarn – the kind of knit you'd make for yourself or a loved one. We also use super chunky wool for extra warmth.
- Ensure all ends have been weaved in before sending.
- If you are writing a message with your donation, please attach it to each knitted donation with some yarn (no safety pins). You can write on any card, or download a Knit Aid postcard.
- Ensure there is sufficient postage paid for your parcel when sending us your donations. We cannot pay for any charges and your package will be sent back to you.
- If you are posting from outside of the UK, please indicate on your customs label that your gift is for charity, so that we do not incur any custom charges. If we do, we will be unable to pay for them, and your package will be returned to you.
- If you'd like to be notified of the safe delivery of your package, please leave a slip with your name and email address inside the package.
4. Fill in a donations form to let us know what you are sending
You can download the form here. This speeds up the process on our side once we receive your package.
5. Wait for our next collection deadline
We rely on our fundraiser to help pay for our storage and distribution costs. You can make a one-off donation or help to fundraise for us in a few different ways with your friends and families. We will have a fundraiser pack coming soon! Meanwhile, you are welcome to contact us if you have any fundraising idea queries.
Knit Aid is a non-profit social enterprise. All of the profits from our products and workshops go towards funding the work we do. So, whether you purchase one of our instantly downloadable knitting patterns or our unique knitting needles, every penny goes towards helping us to make a difference to refugees through the wonderful craft of knitting.